The dish can easily be made vegetarian by substituting things like cooked/canned chickpeas or black/white beans for the roast chicken.
Tips for dairy and egg-free (mayonnaise): Replace sour cream/yogurt with dairy-free plants and mayonnaise with, for example, a little ravigotte sauce/mustard.
Pickled red onions can be prepared well in advance and will keep in the refrigerator for 8-10 days.
Pickled Red Onions:
- 1 red onion
- ½ dl vinegar apple cider vinegar/white wine vinegar
- ½ dl of water
- 1 dl of sugar
Here’s how you do it. Boil vinegar, water and sugar. Cut the red onion into thin rings and pour over the hot salad.
This is what you need for the taco salad (4-5 people):
- 2 chicken fillets, maybe canned beans/chickpeas
- 2-3 tablespoons of liquid melange*
Choose what you have available:
- 1 mango or pineapple (canned pineapple without brine)
- 1 avocado
- Tomatoes, paprika, gherkins
- Optional 1 small box corn kernels (drain water)
- Optional fresh cilantro
- Tortilla chips
- 1 ½ dl light cream or thick/Greek yogurt
- Maybe 2-3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 3-4 tablespoons of sweet chili sauce or tomato salsa
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika powder
- ½ ground cumin seeds
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- A little grated fresh ginger, if desired
Here’s how you do it.
Start by making the pickled red onions. Continue mixing all the sauce ingredients. Taste the flavor you like.
Cut the chicken into thin strips and fry in a large pan in liquid Melange over high heat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Quick frying. Vegetarian: Toss beans or chickpeas in a sheet and fry in liquid Melange and sprinkle with smoked paprika before placing them warm on top of the salad. Place the fried chicken/beans on some paper towels or a sieve to drain the frying fat.
Cut the mango or pineapple into pieces. Avocado and gherkin in chunks or thin strips. Tomatoes in boats, cherry tomatoes in half.
Just before serving, put the salad on a plate, spread it over the vegetables, in strips over the fried chicken or fried beans, and finish by drizzling over the dressing. The remaining sauce is served as a side dish. Serve with tortilla chips.
*In cooperation with product placement