Dalgona candies are a form of traditional South Korean caramel, often bought in small street shops in South Korea. But you don’t have to travel far to taste the popular candy—you can easily make it yourself.
We can even promise you that you won’t die if you’re not the fastest to cut out the candy in the popular squid game.
Dalgona coffee has also become popular in recent years. See how to make dalgona coffee here.
#dalgonacandy – The challenge has gone viral
On the social media platform TikTok, the challenge has a trending hashtag #dalgonacandy that has engaged over 1.1 billion users. The challenge is to poke a shape out of the caramel using a needle without breaking it. You can also make like the main character, Seong Gi-hun, who used his tongue to melt the flesh.
How to make dalgona candy from Squid Game
It takes two minutes to prepare and five minutes to cook. This recipe is for making one dalgona candy at a time.
The recipe is very simple and requires only two ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- A pinch of baking soda (note: you can’t use baking powder)
- Stainless steel soup spoon
- A chopstick for mixing sugar
- Dough scraper
- Gingerbread form
- A bowl with a flat and round bottom to press the dough flat
Here’s how to do it
Make sure all ingredients and utensils are ready before starting.
- Heat the sugar in a tablespoon over a gas stove. Do not stir in the sugar until it has dissolved – otherwise it will crystallize.
- Add the baking powder and stir with a chopstick until it loosens and becomes a golden brown mass.
- Pour the dough onto a baking sheet covered with baking paper.
- Wait a few seconds, press the mass flat. Try to keep the shape as round as possible.
- Before the dalgona hardens, you can lightly press the pattern with the gingerbread mold – make sure that the mold does not go through the dough, but only leaves a mark.
- Let the mass harden completely – then you can play the traditional South Korean game of Squid Game.