Privacy and Data Storage
Data storage and logging
When you visit this website, some technical data about your Internet connection and browser is saved. This data can be categorized as follows:
- Cookies in your browser
- Technical information about servers
- User information in databases
A cookie is a mechanism by which your browser can take care of information received from websites and send them back to websites later. This is done automatically without the user having to think about it.
Cookies can have a number of functions, such as tracking your settings, which user you are logged in as, what you have access to, help ensure you get the right content, track ad impressions, and more.
Cookies allow such settings and other things to be kept track of over time so that information is more readily available on repeat visits to the website. Cookies are also used to temporarily handle user-specific information when you visit different parts of the same website.
Your browser automatically saves cookies on your computer as small text files. You can change the cookie handling settings in your browser.
Cookies can be provided by all types of website content, text pages, images and more. Cookies are sent back only to the site from which you obtained them, not to other sites.
Many websites, including this one, will not function properly if you do not allow cookies.
This website stores cookies to manage three levels of functionality:
- Critical cookies are used to track user information, access, certain personal settings, and more. Without them, the website will not work as it should.
- Analytics cookies are used to track website traffic, which parts of it are the most popular, which parts are used the most and more. Some of them are third-party cookies provided by external service providers. Cookies for analytical functions are used to improve the website (which is under continuous development), but are not critical to the functionality of the website.
- Advertising cookies are used by internal and third-party advertising systems to track and monitor ad impressions.
This information is legally required to be made available to you as a user of websites that use such cookies.
When you visit a website, the web server logs some technical information, such as your IP address, the browser you use, and every time you request data from the server, i.e. when you click on an internal link and load a new website. or related data such as fonts, images, various scripts necessary for the website to function.
This data is only stored for a certain period of time in the systems for troubleshooting and error correction and is never shared with newspaper employees or third parties.
We store certain information about you as a user. No sensitive information is stored on this website, but the simple contact details you provide when creating a user account or purchasing services on the website are stored in our databases. This is necessary to provide services to you. This data is deleted when you delete your user account.
Who do we store data about?
If you visit this website without registering a user account or subscription, the following data will be stored about you:
- Certain technical information, such as IP address and browser, is stored in web server logs. This technical information is stored for 180 days and is necessary for the operation and security of the service. This data will never be disclosed to newspaper employees or third parties.
- Google Analytics counts page views to maintain visitor statistics. This information is anonymous and cannot be used to track you.
- Certain third-party services, such as downloaded fonts and scripts, may log your IP address and other information on external servers.
- A cookie is set to identify you as a user while browsing websites. It is deleted when the browser is closed or after 360 minutes of inactivity at the latest.
Logged in users and subscribers:
If you decide to create a user account and/or subscribe to the website, the following information about you is also stored:
- Name, address and other contact information you provide during the registration process. This data is retained until you delete your user account.
- Information about your order, e.g. when it was purchased, how it was paid for, some numbers from your credit card, the duration of the subscription and what subscription you have. This data is stored until the user account is deleted.
- Simple data about which articles you have read and how many articles you read. It is used to improve our content and is deleted when you delete your user account.
NB! After data is deleted, it can be stored as a backup for up to 180 days. Backups are kept with high security and limited access and are necessary for troubleshooting and to ensure the security of users and the computer system.
As a user of this website, you can contact the newspaper to have your data published and/or deleted.
If you have a user account/subscription, you can log into your user profile and download your saved data at any time, as well as delete your user account and related data at any time.
You can also clear all local data in the browser. The procedure for this is different in different browsers and devices.
Tip: Using YourOnlineChoices.com EU service gives you some control over how different ad providers track you and lots of great tips for customizing the ads you see. Open YourOnlineChoices.com in a new window.
NB: Certain system-critical data, such as those found in web server logs, cannot be deleted on demand, but will be deleted automatically after a short period of time as explained above.
If you press REJECT, cookies will not be stored in your browser and data about you will not be logged in our databases. It also means we can’t know if you’ve approved or not, so you’ll see this warning on every page you visit. Technical information (web server logs) will still store your IP address and browser information, but will be permanently deleted as described above.